Special journal is a journal that is used to record similar types of transactions.
Special journals are of various types, such as:
- Sales journal,
- Purchase journal,
- Cash Receipts journal,
- Payments journal. Etc.
Advantages of Special Journal
Special journals have several advantages. Such of them are as follows:
- It accumulates similar entries in a single journal.
- It makes very easy to post entries into the accounts.
- It reduces the possibilities of errors in posting.
- It permits greater division of labor.
- It provides total amounts of same transactions.
- It provides the chronology of same transactions.
- It helps to control the accounts in the ledger.
- It gives the priority of recurring transactions.
- It classifies transactions into specific journals.
Disadvantages of Special Journal
Special journals have some disadvantages. Such of them are as follows:
- It requires a higher knowledge about recording process.
- It cannot record all types of transaction.
- It is comparatively complex than general journal.
- It requires some additional journals, such as memorandum journal, control
- It records limited types of transactions.