Fertilization is the union of two dissimilar sexual reproductive units called gametes (n).
The significance of fertilization: The following are the significances performed due to the union (fusion) of male and female gametes (n + n):
- Fertilization ensures diploid of the life form by fusion of haploid male and female gametes. The haploid form of two gametes is transformed into a diploid form of the zygote (2n).
- It provides new genetic constitution to the zygote. It initiates embryogenesis.
- The ovules are converted into seeds. Then, the ovary is turned into a fruit.
- The seeds formed by fertilization protect the generation of plants. Thus it is noticed that seeds and fruits are formed due to fertilization.
- This procedure increases the metabolic activities and the rate of protein synthesis of the egg.
- Seeds and fruits formed due to fertilization are used as food for the animal kingdom.