The involvement of business with the community is called community relation or public affairs. It refers to the various methods companies use to establish and maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with the communities in which they operate.
The two characteristics distinguished modern community and business that are –
(a) Urbanization: Migration from rural areas to urban centers has changed the community life and creates new stress for the business community.
(b) Interdependence: The greater system interdependence of business and community. Urbanization is a partial cause of interdependence but so is technology for it requires a community to become much large in order to maintain self-sufficiency.
Business responsibilities in a community extend in a wide variety of directions from civil rights to support of the community to support of community cultural activities. It is an essential function of any successful business, refers to the various methods companies use to establish and maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with the communities in which they operate. The unlimited needs can be better understood by considering the main community responsibility that is given below:-
- Assistance for handicapped and other disadvantaged persons.
- Support of air and water pollution control.
- Service responsibility for products sold to the local consumer.
- Support for artistic and cultural activities.
- Employment and advancement for minorities and women.
- Assistance in urban planning and development.
- Support of local health care program.
- Support of local school system.
- Support of local bond issues for public improvements.
- Aid to community hospital drive.
- Support of local program for recycling to conserve scarce resources and prevent pollution.
- Executive aid for the local united fund.
- Company participation in “get out the vote” campaign.