E-learning means learning online through content or video lesson. It is the use of electronic media and information and communication technologies in education. It is the modern education system of electronics technology is called electronic learning or e-learning. Bernard Luskin, a pioneer of e-learning, says that the “e” should be interpreted to mean “exciting, energetic, enthusiastic, emotional, extended, excellent and educational” in addition to “electronic.” The development of technology around the world has touched the education system.
With the touch of technology, the world is changing every day. E-learning includes numerous types of media for delivering text, audio, images, animation, and streaming video, etc. Through e-learning, now students can take their lessons from anywhere. E-learning can occur in or out of the classroom. It is suited to distance learning and flexible learning. In addition to receiving an education, teaching has become a relatively easy task now.
There are many advantages to online and computer-based learning when compared to traditional face to face courses and lectures. We can learn anything from our home with the help of the internet, mobile, and computer. Classwork can be scheduled around work and family. It reduces travel time and travel costs for students. One of the major benefits of e-learning courses is that it keeps pace with the ages. Students can study anywhere they have access to a computer and Internet connection. Students may select their level of knowledge and interest. They can develop knowledge of the internet and computer skills that will help learners throughout their lives and careers.
Advantages Of eLearning
- Web-based learning promotes active and independent learning.
- Not only can you train yourself on a day to day basis, but also on weekends or whenever you have the free time to.
- Through discussion boards and chats, you are able to interact with everyone online and also clear your doubts if any.
- The video instructions that are provided for audio and video learning can be rewound and seen and heard again and again if you do not happen to understand the topic first time around.
Disadvantages Of eLearning
- The face-to-face learning experience is missing, which may matter to some of you.
- Most of the online assessments are limited to questions that are only objective in nature.
- There is also the problem of the extent of the security of online learning programs.
- The assessments that are computer marked generally have a tendency of being only knowledge-based and not necessarily practicality-based.
Successfully completing online or computer-based courses builds self-knowledge and self-confidence among students. There are thousands of learning videos, courses, and tutorials on YouTub alone. There are a few disadvantages as well. Learners with bad study habits may fall behind. Students may feel isolated from the instructor and classmates. The importance of this is increasing day by day. Instructors may not always be available when students are studying or need help. However, in addition to traditional learning e-learning can help learners in many ways. We should also take the benefits of e-learning seriously.