We know, light is a form of energy by which we are able to see the objects. When light comes from an object to our eyes, we see the object at that time. The light entered into the eyes forms an image of the object in the retina and develops a sense of vision similar to the object in our brain through a complex process. Men have been trying to achieve knowledge about the nature of light from an ancient period. Once it was thought that light falls on an object from our eyes, so we see that object.
Actually, when light comes to our eyes from an object, only then we can see the object.
The major properties of light are:
- Light travels in a straightway through a transparent homogeneous medium.
- Light travels with a definite velocity in a definite medium. The value of this velocity in vacuum is c = 3 x 108 ms-1
- Reflection, refraction, interference, diffraction, dispersion and polarization of light take place.
- Light is a form of energy.
- Light is a kind of electromagnetic wave.
- Light behaves as wave in some cases and also as particle in some incidents.