People differ greatly in their innovativeness to try new products. People can be classified into five adopter categories. They are discussed below.
- Innovators: Innovators are venturesome — they are willing to try new products at some risk.
- Early Adopter: Early adopter is guided by respect — they are opinion leaders in their communities and new product early but carefully.
- Early Majority: The Early majority are deliberated. Although they are rarely leaders, they adopt new product before the average person.
- Late Majority: the Late majority are skeptical — they adopt an innovation only after a majority of people have tried it.
- Laggards: Laggards are traditional bound. They are suspicious only when it has become something of a tradition itself.