Oral communication is the oldest and most widely used medium of communication. It can take place in different forms such as speech, fact-to-face conversation, interview, meeting, etc. Among the speech is the most prominent and widely used tool of oral communication. It refers to delivering the message through words of mouth or spoken words in front of an audience gathered in a meeting, seminar or conference. Oral communication is the procedure of communication in which messages or information is exchanged or communicated within sender and receiver through the word of mouth. It can be divided into two ways: (a) Speaking, (b) Listening.
Through speech, the speaker can present his opinions and thoughts on any matter to a large number of audiences at a time. Therefore, it is widely used in delivering an oral message in business, social, political and religious gatherings. Another widely used means of oral communication is a face-to-face conversation. It refers to the mutual exchange of information between two or more people by attending in a particular place. Here both the sender and receiver exchange information directly by using oral means. This type of communication mainly occurs informally. In this communication, various non-verbal cues like gesture, posture, facial expression, eye contact, etc. are used extensively. It has also paramount importance in business. Most business dealings are settled by fact-to-face conversion. Another important and popular medium of oral communication is an interview. Generally, it is a procedure to obtain information from a person’s oral responses in oral inquiries. Every day, numerous types of interview are taking place in different business and non-business activities. Through an interview, the interviewer seeks to know the opinions, thinking and feelings of the interviewee on certain issues or events.
Among the types of interview, employment interview is the key concern for the graduating students. Because the employment interview is the pathway to get a job. The meeting is another important medium of oral communication. It suggests a meeting between two or more persons for the purpose of getting a view of each other or for knowing each other. Generally, it is a gathering or assembly of two or more people to discuss or exchange views on any matter of common interest among them. The agenda discussed in meetings are generally determined and circulated among the eligible participants earlier. Now a day, it is a common matter in any business, social, political, religious or in any state organization.
Some common Media of Oral Communication are described below –
- Conversation: When one person discusses his views, judgment to another person and exchanges their views in the occurrence of both then it is called face to face conversation. In this technique, both the information receiver and sender can exchange their views liberally and moderately.
- Group discussion: Management arranges group discussion to take an assessment on a particular substance. It is very cooperative to human relation, proposal getting a design improvement and training.
- Formal training courses: It is an extensively used method of oral communication. Both the instructor and the learner can exchange their views honestly.
- Counseling: Generally, it detained yearly or bi-yearly. It is adopted by the senior authority for their followers.
- Conference: Conference is a sort of meeting at which participants exchange views and talk together. They are more in the nature of the proposal.
- Lectures: The method is an efficient method to introduce new information or concepts to a group of learners who gathered in one place.
- Informal communication: Informal communication is another system to exchange information verbally. It can happen in the anywhere, playground, tea table, etc.