Roots usually perform the following functions: The plant root system constitutes the major part of the plant body, both in terms of function and bulk.
- The root anchors the plant firmly to the ground. Hence, the plant does not bend down readily during strong wind and storm.
- The root helps to absorb water and minerals from the soil in different ways. We know, there is a part called hair region in a root. In this region, tine root hair grows and plants collect water and minerals through it.
- Root absorption of water and inorganic nutrients and anchoring of the plant body to the ground, and supporting it.
- It storage of food and nutrients, vegetative reproduction and competition with other plants.
- Root prevents soil erosion; roots help to bind the soil particles and prevent harm from being blown away by wind or water.