Scope of communication means normal functioning area of this subject. Since communication is essential in every sphere of human life, its scope is wide and pervasive. From cradle to grave, human beings are somehow engaged in communication. No one can pass even a day without communication. In the following, a brief discussion on scope of communication is given:
- Communication in personal life: Communication is closely related with every sphere of human life. From dawn to sleep at night, a person communicates with others. This reveals that communication is the part and parcel of human life.
- Communication in social life: Now we are on the verge of human civilization and living in an integrated society. In social life, people need to develop social bondage. Communication helps us in creating and strengthening this social bondage.
- Communication in the state affairs: Communication is also pervaded in all areas of state affairs. Without Communication, state neither can administer its various wings nor can maintain relationships with the other part of the world. Due to revolutionary change in communication technologies, the whole world has turned into a global village.
- Communication in business: In this post-modern age, we cannot think of business without communication. Communication is the life-blood of business as it provides necessary information in formulating business plans, and policies. It also ensures effective performance of business activities like production, distribution, finance, warehousing etc. Thus, ultimate success of business depends of successful communication.
- Communication in management: Management is the means of achieving organizational goals. Efficiency and effectiveness of management depends on effective communication with the various internal and external parties. Every function of management depends on communication. In fact, without information plans cannot be formulated, activities cannot be organized, directives cannot be issued and control cannot be ensued.
- Communication in industrial relations: Industrial relation means labour – management relationship in industry or in organization. Congenial industrial relation is a precondition for business success. On the other hand, free and fair communication is a pre-requisite for creating good industrial relation. Free flow of informatics lessens doubt, confusion, and controversies between workers and management. As a result harmonious relationship develops in the organization.
- Communication in international affairs: In this age of globalization, communication is not marely confined within the national boundary. Countries are exchanging their cultural, economical, social, political, educational, and technological affairs with each other continuously. In order to facilitate cooperation and communication among countries, various regional and international bodies namely United nation, World Bank, NAFTA, SAFTA, ASEAN, SAARC, EU etc. have been formed. Through these bodies, countries communicate various bilateral and multilateral issues among them.
- Communication in religion: Communication is also present in preaching, spreading and circulating various religious doctrines. Prophets and saints have preached the verses of almighty to their followers and even now, many religious thinkers are performing the duty of preaching and circulating religious verses.
Form the above discussion; we can draw the conclusion that the scope of communication is so wide that encompasses almost every sphere of our personal, social, national, international and religious lives.