Electronic data interface (EDI) involves the electronic exchange of business transactions document to cover the Internet and other networks between supply chain trading partners (organization and their customer and supplier). It is the computer-to-computer exchange of business documents in a standard electronic format between business partners. It is a system for exchanging business documents with external entities. The goal of EDI is the simple and safe exchange of data between companies, independent of formats or merchandise management systems.
Business benefits of Electronic Data Interchange (EDI): EDI provides with a company a variety of benefits. Many business documents can be exchanged using EDI, but the two most common are purchase orders and invoices. The main benefits are as follows –
- Complete automation of an e-commerce supply chain process.
- EDI automatically tracts inventory changes trigger order invoice and other document related to a transaction.
- EDI automatically schedule and confirms delivery and payment.
- EDI streamlines processes.
- Safe time. Reduced cycle time and enhanced customer service
- Increases curacy.