Promotion means the employees present position to higher position. This may be the result of either a successful application for an advertised vacancy or, where appropriate, personal promotion. The purposes and advantages of promotions are to: recognize employee’s performance and commitment and motivate him towards better performance.
The advantage of seniority basis of promotion: Advantages of seniority basis of promotion are as follows –
- A fixed promotion policy may be started by the following seniority. A matured person is selected and he can realize present and future well.
- By adopting this process frustration never come into the employees.
- This process ascertains promotion and increases the stability’ of employees.
- This process reduces satisfaction and labor turnover among the employees.
- Employees accept this process easier as the process is very simple and there is no problem to understand its activities.
- There is a relation between duration and performance of the job.
- Employees become more loyal to the organization for seniority as the basis of promotion.
Disadvantages of seniority basis of promotion: Disadvantages of seniority basis of promotion are as follows –
- This promotion process does not honor capability.
- Capable and ambitions employees think the organization as a training center and they always hunt for a better chance.
- This process is unable to satisfy young, energetic, and skilled employees.
- It creates a bad reaction among meritorious employees.
- By this position, senior but incompetent persons sometimes are selected or elected for this higher position.
- This process does not evaluate new idea and innovativeness.