For transformations in Three-Dimensional Molecular Symmetry Operations, find matrix equations that represent the following operations.
- Anticlockwise rotation about the x-axis.
- Anticlockwise rotation about the y-axis.
- Reflection in the xy-plane.
- Reflection in the yz-plane.
- Reflection in the zx-plane.
- Inversion through the origin.
We have already looked at the solution for the rotation around the z axis in above figure, Now anticlockwise rotation about the x axis by an angle θ is.
and anticlockwise rotation about the y-axis by an angle θ is,
Reflection in the xy plane only changes the z coordinate to —z
and reflection in the yz plane only changes the x coordinate to —x
and the final reflection, in the zx plane only changes they coordinate to —y
Inversion through the origin will change all three coordinates to their negative values