Management information system is an organized combination of people hardware, software, communication network and data resources that collect transforms and disseminates information in an organization. Generally, Management Information System (MIS) is a computer-based information system that provides information and support for effective managerial decision-making. It is the study of people, technology, and organizations.
There are five basis area of the knowledge/Management information system. These are as follows:-
- Foundation concept: Fundamental behavioral and technical concepts that will help you understand how information systems can support business operations, managerial decision making, and strategic advantage of business firms and other organizations.
- Technology: Major concepts, developments, and management issues in information technology – that is. hardware, software, networks, database management, and other information processing technologies.
- Application: The major use of information systems for the operation, management, and competitive advantage of an enterprise, including electronic commerce and collaboration using the internet, intranets, and extranets.
- Development: How end users or information specialists develop information systems solutions to business problems using fundamental problem-solving and development methodologies.
- Management: The challenges of effectively and ethically managing the resources and business strategies involved in using information technology at the end user, enterprise, and global levels of a business.