Promotion means the employees present position to higher position. This may be the result of either a successful application for an advertised vacancy or, where appropriate, personal promotion. The purposes and advantages of promotions are to: recognize employee’s performance and commitment and motivate him towards better performance.
Advantages of seniority and merit basis: Advantages of seniority and merit basis are as follows –
- According to this process, both merits and seniority are considered so that competent and appropriate employees get a promotion.
- It increaser eagerness among the employees.
- As this is a combined process of merits and seniority it reduces dissatisfaction among employees.
Disadvantages of seniority and merit basis: Disadvantages of seniority and merit basis are as follows –
- When seniority is same, there grows a tendency of discrimination with talent and competency.
- It is a very complex process. So employees don’t understand it easily.
- It is difficult to evaluate an employee for a very short period. So in most of the time, proper co-ordination may not be possible to do.