Aerobic respiration: In aerobic respiration, glucose is oxidized by oxygen and with the help of different enzymes
- Oxygen is essential in this process
- Carbohydrate in this process is oxidized completely to form water and carbon dioxide
- The heat energy evolved, in this process, is more, i.e., 686 Kcal heat energy in released from one gram of glucose
- More carbon dioxide is evolved in this process
- It is a lifelong process higher plants.
Anaerobic respiration: It is the process of producing cellular energy without oxygen.
- This process does not need oxygen
- Carbohydrate in this process, is oxidized incompletely to from alcohol or organic acid and carbon dioxide.
- The heat energy evolved, in this process, is less; 14-28 Kcal heat energy in released from one gram of glucose.
- Less amount of carbon dioxide is evolved in this process.
- It occurs in some particulate lower plants, such as bacteria, fungus etc.