Meaningful sounds that we hear originate due to the combination of many frequencies. If these frequencies are mutually simple multiple, then resultant sound produced by these frequencies becomes musical sound. But if there is no simple multiple of frequencies between each other then sound will be heard as noise. Characteristics of sounds having musical and noisy nature are discussed below:
Characteristics of musical sound
(1) Musical sounds are pleasant and comfortable.
(2) This sound is originated due to the periodic and regular vibration of the source of sound.
(3) It has three characteristics.
(4) Sound has its own quality.
Characteristics of noise
(1) Noise is unpleasant and irritating,
(2) This is generated due to the irregular vibration of the source of sound,
(3) It has no such characteristics,
(4) Noise has no quality.
Meaningful sounds that we hear are produced by the combine effect of sound from different instruments. If these frequencies are mutually simple multiple then sound produced by them becomes pleasant. On the other hand if there does not exist any correlation between those frequencies then the resultant sound produced by their combination becomes a noise.