Functions of Communication Model
The communication model refers to the visual representation of the communication process. The communication model performs certain functions in developing communication skills and efficiency. The communication process starts with the transmission of a message by communicator and ends with the receiver’s feedback. These models are systematic representations of the process which helps in understanding how communication works can be done. It helps to learn about sending and receiving of messages and represents various pictorial aspects and forecasts about elements that are responsible for success or failure.
Some important functions of a communications model are mentioned below:
(1) Teaching the elements of the communication process: Communication model represents various elements involved in sending and receiving messages. It helps to learn about sending and receiving a message and other related elements of the communication process. So from the communication model, one can learn various aspects of the communication process. For this reason, it is said that the communication model teaches the communication process. As a result, both superiors and subordinates acquire knowledge and get interactive to make proper communication.
(2) Conducting research: The second important function of the communication model is to help in conducting research in the field of communication. The communication model presents various aspects of communication logically that help the researchers are in understand the pattern of communication. As it represents various pictorial aspects, researchers find their means or sample for further investigation. So with the help of communication models, the researcher can undertake communication research programs and perform those efficiently. As a result, new innovation is possible.
(3) Predicting the success or failure of the communication process: Another function communication model is to predict or forecast the success or failure of a particular communication process. Elements that are responsible for success or failure for communication can be foretasted through this model. Through this model, one can ascertain the causes of success or failure of communication. Such a model assumes the types of communication to be effective for a particular situation or location.
Importance or objectives are given below:
- Easy understanding of a communication process: It helps to understand the communication process easily and logically.
- Showing information flow: It shows how information flows form one person to another in the organization.
- Introducing the parts of the communication process: It is also helpful to orient the various parts of a communication process to its readers.
- Easy presentation of the communication process: Communication process is a complex issue. Through a model, this complex issue can be presented easily.