Uses of Silver Nitrate
- Silver nitrate is prepared by dissolving silver in dilute nitric acid.
3Ag + 4HNO3 → 3AgNO3 + 2H2O + NO↑
- Ammoniacal silver nitrate (Tollen’s reagent) is reduced to silver mirror by compounds like formic acid, formaldehyde or glucose
- Silver nitrate is strongly caustic and oxidizing in nature.
Other uses are:
- It is used in the preparation of silver halides which are extensively used in photography.
- It is used in silvering mirrors.
- It is used in preparation of marking inks and hair dyes.
- It is used for silver plating.
- It is used as laboratory reagent.