Lipid: The saturated or unsaturated compounds consisting of carbon. hydrogen and oxygen which are insoluble in water but soluble in ether, benzine chloroform etc. are known as lipids.
Characteristics of lipid:
- They are almost insoluble in water.
- They are soluble in ether, alcohol, benzin. chloroform solutions etc.
- It is present as an ester of fatty acid (actual or potential)
- It is used in the living organisms
- They are modified into fatty acids at the end of hydrolysis
- Since the specific gravity of lipid is less than water, it floats in water.
- The melting point of lipid is indefinite. The more the molecular weight of lipid the more is the melting point.
Types of lipid: Lipid can be of five types according to molecular structure. Such as-
- Terpenoid lipid