Uses of Nitrogen (N2)
- Nitrogen is taken up by animals with oxygen to get energy from burning fats and carbohydrates. Here N2 being an inert element controls the rate of burning in the body.
- Nitrogen is used for the synthesis of ammonia, NH3 and to manufacture nitric acid ( HNO3).
- Other nitrogenous compounds like urea, nitrate, nitrogenous oxides, cyanides or nitriles, RNA/DNA— nitrogenous bases etc. are prepared.
- Nitrogen is also used in creating inert atmosphere in laboratory synthesis.
- Nitrogen is also used as a gas carrier in gas chromatography.