Television is the most common and cheap mode of media in use. It can be of great use for education, daily updates worldwide and good entertainment. But as time passed, the advantages of television have also increased. Still, the advantages are countered by the disadvantages, a narration of which is provided below.
Advantages of Television
The advantages of television are discussed below-
(1) Cheap Entertainment – Various programs on information, education, entertainment, religion, and other topics provide a pool of options to choose from, that too sitting in the comfort of your house. For people who work the whole day, Television is a big stress buster.
(2) Educational and Informative – Television is a good source of education and information. Lots of programs are available in Science and Technology. Channels based on wildlife, science, and traveling enhance your knowledge about various subjects apart from entertaining you. Many learning programs and social programs are also telecasted on many channels.
(3) Skill Development – Television could be an effective tool for skill development. There are various programs dedicated to skills like cooking, drawing, singing, dancing, etc. This will be a great way to induce/motivate people to know and excel in their field of expertise. If you have a hobby of cooking then you just have to switch the channel and make mouth-watering dishes as your host is instructing.
(4) Motivational – Some television programs could also be motivational for anyone in need. It can be our companion whenever we are lonely. Channels offer motivational speeches and talk shows by some of the best in class motivational speakers. It can also motivate them to pursue their dreams through motivational videos and inspirational speeches from successful individuals in various fields.
(5) Wide Exposure – Television provides a wide exposure on a variety of topics ranging from world issues, news, wildlife, science and fiction, history, geography, the upcoming world, and national events, and much more. There are programs also that are dedicated to creating disease awareness and prevention.
(6) Family Ties – Television also increases family ties as all the family members sit together to watch a movie or their favorite sports tournament. It relieves us of stress that leads to depression, which is a causative agent of many diseases.
Disadvantages of Television
(1) Violent and Inappropriate Content – Television offers a number of violent content and inappropriate languages which has adverse effects on youths as well as elders. Aggressive and violent behavior among children, young adults and adults can be traced back to too much television in childhood.
(2) Derogatory to Health – Too much TV is linked to serious health hazards. It is the cause of many lifestyle diseases like diabetes, blood pressure, obesity, etc. As a result, many chronic viewers become obese.
(3) Social Obscurity – A person, who is addicted to television, often avoids socializing with friends and relatives, making himself a sort of an introvert. Poor sleeping practices are linked to sleep difficulties, depression, fatigue, headaches, and other illnesses.
(4) Hidden Agenda – Various businesses have a hidden agenda of targeting vulnerable customers through TV commercials. It can also change our perception regarding the world in a negative way. Every TV program has commercials, where the manufacturers frantically try to lure customers by making false claims and promises about their products.
(5) Highly Addictive – Television is highly habit-forming and children are seen to be more vulnerable to its addiction. We do not spend much time with society and nature. Once addicted, a person loses all interest in other hobbies and always wants to watch television whenever s/he gets the time.
The television is an integral item in our lives. The advantages of television are weighed almost equal to its disadvantages; though people may have varied opinions on this. If the whole system were to be shut down, there is no telling how boring the world would be. But, finally, it is upon us, that how to use the idiot box for gaining information and knowledge, before switching it off. Like most things, television only becomes harmful when it is overused.