Uses of Some Polymers
Polymers are made up of many many molecules all strung together to form really long chains.
Polythene: To produce plastic bag, toys, small pots, furniture, kitchen-wares like food box, bowl, glass, mug, bucket etc.
Polypropene: It is more rigid than polythene and is the lightest polymer plastic. It is used to make thick rope, carpet, bottle, pipe etc.
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC): It is rigid and is used in carpeting of floor, production of plastic syringe, tannery industries, and production of hardware, water pipe, artificial leather, production of raincoat, gramophone record etc. It is also used widely in building constructions.
Polystyrene: Used in packaging, plates, raw materials of foam, cosmetic bottles, television cabinet, artificial rubber, toys etc.
- Very hard plastic.
- Insulator for heat and electricity.
- Used in production of non-sticky cooking pan, electric insulator, rope for ship etc.
- PVA is more flexible than PVC
- Used for the production of gramophone record, emulsion paint etc.
- It is an alternative of glass as it is very transplant.
- Used as lens, reflector substance etc
- For the preparation of window-glass.