Iodine is used.
- In medicines, e.g., for the preparation of tincture of iodine (solution of iodine in alcohol + water containing potassium iodide antiseptic), and iodex (iodine dissolved in petroleum jelly pain killing balm).
- For preventing goiter, for this purpose 0.023% I and KI are added to the table salt to make up for the deficiency of iodine. Such a salt is called iodized salt.
- For the manufacture of organic compounds, like dyes, drugs, iodoform (CHI3), , and in photography.
- Iodine solution is also used as an oxidizing agent for qualitative and volumetric analysis.
- Radioactive iodine is used in the medical treatment of the thyroid gland.